After completing this module, you will be able to do the following:
- Plan a primary prevention or health promotion project, targeted for a specific population
- Consider educational strategies and select appropriate teaching techniques
You will need to reference Healthy People 2020 (HP2020) when selecting your topic and state the corresponding objective number from the website upon which you are basing your project. For example: If your topic is the prevention of obesity, you may select objective NWS-9: Objective NWS-9
Development of a strategy for addressing the selected community health concern should be tailored to the target audience’s needs and resources available in the community. A project plan should include goals and objectives, a plan for implementation and evaluation of the project.
- N493 Project Concert Instruction for Students v2.docx
- Minnesota Department of Health:
- Population Based Levels of Care
University Mission Goals:
- Exhibits self-directed learning that demonstrates professional behavior and ethics
- Functions successfully in multiple roles and teams showing cultural competence
- Demonstrates professional performance through research by using evidence-based practice
- Cultural Competence: Recognize the need for evidence-based knowledge and sensitivity to variables such as age, gender, culture, health disparities, socioeconomic status, race, and spirituality
- Research and Evidence-Based Practice: Use research findings and other evidence in designing, implementing, and evaluating care that is multidimensional, high quality, cost-effective and leads to improved patient outcomes
- Leadership/Advocacy: Work within organizational and community arenas to promote high quality patient care through organizational and systems leadership, quality improvement, and safety
- Technology: Design and implement measures to modify risk factors and promote healthy lifestyles, utilizing emerging advances in science and technology
- Apply a knowledge base of community health nursing and health teaching skills to the development an educational project with a focus on illness prevention, health promotion and/or health maintenance of individuals, families and groups.
- Analyze a community assessment to plan a health teaching project that meets the needs of communities and populations.
- Create an educational project that can be utilized by public and community health nurses to improve the health status and eliminate health disparities of individuals, families, communities and populations.