This Assignment will assess your ability to evaluate subjective and objective information in order to arrive at an appropriate diagnosis and treatment plan for the patient.
Hypertension Case Study
C.D is a 55-year-old African American male who presents to his primary care provider with a 2-day history of a headache and chest pressure.
Father died at age 49 from AMI: had HTN
Mother has DM and HTN
Brother died at age 20 from complications of CF
Two younger sisters are A&W
The patient has been married for 25 years and lives with his wife and two children. The patient is an air traffic controller at the local airport. He has smoked a pack of cigarettes a day for the past 15 years. He drinks several beers every evening after work to relax. He does not pay particular attention to sodium, fat, or carbohydrates in the foods he eats. He admits to “salting almost everything he eats, sometimes even before tasting it.” He denies ever having dieted or exercised.
Zyrtec 10 mg daily
States that his overall health has been fair to good during the past year.
Weight has increased by approximately 30 pounds in the last 12 months.
States he has been having some occasional chest pressure and headaches for the past 2 days. Shortness of breath at rest, headaches, nocturia, nosebleeds, and hemoptysis.
Reports some shortness of breath with activity, especially when climbing stairs and that breathing difficulties are getting worse.
Denies any nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or blood in stool.
Self treats for occasional right knee pain with OTC Ibuprofen.
Denies any genitourinary symptoms.
B/P 190/120, HR 73, RR 18, T. 98.8 F., Ht 6’1”, Wt 240 lbs.
TMs intact and clear throughout
No nasal drainage
No exudates or erythema in oropharynx
Funduscopy reveals mild arteriolar narrowing without nicking, hemorrhages, exudates, or papilledema
Supple without masses or bruits
Mild basilar crackles bilaterally
No murmurs or rubs
Soft and non-distended
No masses, bruits, or organomegaly
Normal bowel sounds
Moves all extremities well
No sensory or motor abnormalities
CN’s II-XII intact
DTR’s = 2+
Muscle tone=5/5 throughout
What you should do:
- Develop an evidence-based management plan.
- Include any pertinent diagnostics.
- Describe the patient education plan.
- Include cultural and lifespan considerations.
- Provide information on health promotion or health care maintenance needs.
- Describe the follow-up and referral for this patient.
- Prepare a 3–5-page paper (not including the title page or reference page).
Before finalizing your work, you should:
- be sure to read the Assignment description carefully (as displayed above);
- consult the Grading Rubric to make sure you have included everything necessary; and
- utilize spelling and grammar check to minimize errors.
Your writing Assignment should:
- follow the conventions of Standard English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.);
- be well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful;
- display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics; and
- use APA 6th Edition format as outlined in the APA Progression Ladder.
How to Submit:
Submit your Assignment to the unit Dropbox before midnight on the last day of the unit.
When you are ready to submit your Assignment, select the unit Dropbox then attach your file. Make sure to save a copy of the Assignment you submit.