Counseling and Case Management [WLOs: 1, 2] [CLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, read Chapter 1 in your text. There are five scenarios in Chapter 1 of your text, detailing roles and functions of human service professionals. Choose one of the five scenarios and compare the counseling and case management functions in the scenario.
- Determine what case management aspects were utilized in the case.
- Determine what issues were addressed from a counseling perspective.
- Analyze what aspects of case management or counseling you as a human service professional might have utilized differently and justify why.
Support your post with material from the assigned text and one other scholarly source of your choosing. The Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for an assignment.
Your initial post needs to be at least 350 words.
Martin, M. E. (2018). Introduction to human services: Through the eyes of practice settings (4th ed.). Pearson.
- The full-text version of this ebook is available through your online classroom through the VitalSource platform.
- Hill, D., & Mrug, S. (2015). School-level correlates of adolescent tobacco, alcohol, and marijuana use. Substance Use & Misuse, 50(12), 1518–1528. https://doi.org/10.3109/10826084.2015.1023449
- Kumar, R., O’Malley, P., Johnston, L., & Laetz, V. (2013). Alcohol, tobacco, and other drug use prevention programs in U.S. schools: A descriptive summary. Prevention Science, 14(6), 581–592. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11121-012-0340-z
- LoPatin-Lummis, N. (2010). Protesting about pauperism: Poverty, politics and poor relief in late-Victorian England, 1870-1900 [Review of the book Protesting about pauperism: Poverty, politics and poor relief in late-Victorian England, 1870-1900, by E. T. Hurren]. Journal of Social History, 43(4), 1082–1084. https://doi.org/10.1353/jsh.0.0327
- Miller, S. E., Tice, C. J., & Harnek Hall, D. M. (2008). The generalist model: Where do the micro and macro converge? (Links to an external site.) Advances in Social Work, 9(2), 80–90. https://doi.org/10.18060/203
- Moffat, C. T. (2011, Fall). Helping those in need: Human service workers. Occupational Outlook Quarterly, 55(3), 22–32.
- Neukrug, E., Sparkman, N., & Moe, J. (2017). The Holland code of members of the national organization for human services: A preliminary study of human services professionals. Journal of Employment Counseling, 54(4), 146–155. https://doi.org/10.1002/joec.12063
- Puterbaugh, D. (2015, May 28). Self-care in the world of empirically supported treatments (Links to an external site.). Counseling Today. http://ct.counseling.org/2015/05/self-care-in-the-world-of-empirically-supported-treatments/
- Yaffe, D. (2019, June). Sobriety studies: Recovery high schools show success in helping students overcome substance abuse. District Administration, 55(6), 24–27.
- COER Benchmarking. (2010, January 14). What is benchmarking (Links to an external site.) [Video]. YouTube. https://youtu.be/xuZOtKmGB1M
- Holzknecht, J. (Writer & Producer). (2007). Maslow’s hierarchy of needs [Video]. Castalia Media.
- Portico Network. (2017, March 15). Conducting a quick screen for trauma – child interview (Links to an external site.) [Video]. YouTube. https://youtu.be/rKTYOAI65zE
- Wineburg, B. [Bob Wineburg]. (2008, November 10). Faith based initiative /social service and congregational research part 1 (Links to an external site.) [Video]. YouTube. https://youtu.be/WgjR-y3zGU4
- Wineburg, B. [Bob Wineburg]. (2008, November 10). Faith based initiative /social service research part 2 (Links to an external site.) [Video]. YouTube. https://youtu.be/k7b-oi7PYYI