Writing Assignment – Adjustment Letter Due March 20th
Assume you have been hired at Nestle’s to help answer incoming letters. Although you are fairly new, your boss gives you a letter from an unhappy customer. This customer opened a pint of Nestle’s “Pear Melba Frozen Yogurt” and then threw it out. He saw the brown inner lid and sides of the package, and he decided that his pint must have been used for mocha before it was used for pear. He said, “The entire pint has gone bad and somehow turned the sides of the container brown.” Whatever the reason, he wasn’t taking any chances. Although he had been a long time customer, he now wanted his money back. His last comment was, “I like your stand on environmental and social issues, but I don’t like my ice cream in used containers.”
Write a letter that explains the brown carton, justifies the reason for using it, and retains the customer’s business. The letter should be addressed to Ms. Chantelle Barnett, 8626 Haro Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, V7G 1G7.
A Few Notes to Help You with the Assignment:
Nestle’s is a premium ice cream maker established in 1978 in Vermont. Nestle believe in six factors and issues that affect their company’s potential for continuing success:
- political / legal issues,
- competition/economic factors,
Although super premium ice cream is considered recession proof and inflation proof, Nestle’s Ice Cream Company faces a number of challenges if it is to continue to be a profitable, as well as socially responsible, business.
As an environmentally conscious business, Nestle’s redesigned it pint containers to use unbleached paper. This may seem a small matter, but it involved developing an entirely new packaging material for its ice cream. That packaging material had to please its marketing people, who wanted to show off their great label graphics. It also had to use paper that had not been bleached with chlorine. What is wrong with chlorine? Although it makes paper white, chlorine contains dioxin, which is known to cause cancer, genetic and reproductive defects, and learning disabilities. In producing paper, pulp mills using chlorine and also adding to dioxin contamination of waterways. Eventually, Nestle’s found a new chlorine free, unbleached paper board for its packages. That was the good news. That bad news is that the inside of the package is no longer white; the interior of the new packaging is now brown.
Specifics on Writing Assignment 2
- You are expected to do some research on Nestle’s.
- Your letter must be a hardcopy letter.
- You must follow basic letter formatting
If you forgot, look at Chapter 5 and 6 as well as the power point.
- Your letter text must be in Times New Roman 12=point font.
- Your letter must have letterhead, include your signature, your position and the company contact information (research will help you find this information).
- Your letter must use business writing techniques that increase readability and reflect the characteristics of a good adjustment
- Your assignment will be submitted in hard copy at the beginning of your next class. If your assignment is plagiarized, you may receive a zero.