It is critical to synthesize all of the knowledge, skills, and abilities of nursing into an integrated whole that moves nurses from task completers to an overall demonstration of compassion and caring.
Thinking of nursing first as a job of caring and making a difference, as well as the work of giving medications on time, checking an X-ray to see if the doctor needs to be called, or taking an admission at 2:00 a.m. with a smile on our faces, reminds us of the synthesized whole of nursing work.
Write a reflection about this thought. Incorporate elements from this module’s objectives, as well as what you have learned in this course about leadership. You may include personal experiences and professional opinions if you wish.
Your initial posting should be at least 400 words in length and utilize at least two scholarly source
COURSE OBJECTIVES ARE BELOW
- Explain the integration of professional values, personal competence, and interpersonal skills and their importance in leadership and management roles of the professional nurse (PLG 1, 4; UMBO 1, 2, 3, 4)
- Analyze characteristics needed by a leader/manager in the current and emerging health care arena (PLG 4; UMBO 1, 2, 3, 4)
- Utilize skills for today’s managers, including making decisions, and delegating, working in teams, resolving conflicts, and managing time (PLG 4; UMBO 1, 2, 3, 4)
- Analyze communication skills needed for a multicultural and generational workforce to manage conflict, promote a culture of safety, and to promote individual and organizational to effective organizational development, maintenance, and growth (PLG 2, 4; UMBO 1, 2, 3, 4)
- Evaluate the effectiveness of leadership and managerial theories and roles within a historical and current context (PLG 4; UMBO 1, 2, 3, 4)
- Differentiate leadership from management in theory and practice (PLG 4; UMBO 1, 2, 3, 4)
- Explore the organizational context within which nursing leaders/managers function (PLG 4; UMBO 1, 2, 3, 4)
- Evaluate the strategies used for fiscal and human resources that contribute to the organization’s ability to deliver quality cost-effective patient-centered care (PLG 4; UMBO 1, 2, 3, 4)
- Identify the impact of change within health care organizations and the role of the leader/manager in this change process (PLG 4; UMBO 1, 2, 3, 4)