You have been hired as part of the networking team at UMUC. After completing orientation and training, your manager calls you into a meeting to discuss your first project.
The university has recently leased a building in Adelphi, Maryland. The building will house faculty and administrative offices, classrooms, a library, and computer labs. Security is important for UMUC, as the university must protect students’ and employees’ data, as well as any intellectual property that UMUC has on its servers and computers. As a result, IT management would like to take the time to review proposals on how best to move forward on security issues. As a junior network engineer, you have been asked to put together a network proposal on how to set up a secure network infrastructure in this building to support university operations. The network proposal will require three submissions covering network design, network addressing and security, and network customization and optimization.
Your proposal will be submitted in three major parts:
- Network Design (i.e., Part 1)
- Network Addressing and Security (i.e., Part 2)
- Network Customization and Optimization (i.e., Part 3)
To learn how you will be assessed on this assignment, take a moment to review the rubrics. The final deliverable should adhere to the following criteria:
- Use this template as a guide while creating your Network Design Proposal (Parts 1-3).
- Include at least five scholarly references references in each proposal. Thus, a total of six scholarly references will be included in total. Students will also include other credible sources as appropriate.
- Use IEEE-style citations. We do not use APA or MLA citations. Students should contact UMUC’s Effective Writing Center for assistance.
- The use of figures and diagrams is encouraged. Students will properly cite the figures and diagrams according to the IEEE-style citation
In this section, address each of the following.
- Identify network services needed.
- List additional servers or network devices needed to implement the network.
- List network security measures to be implemented.
- Justify the need for the network services, security measures, and devices you’ve selected.
- Identify network storage and cloud based services that will be available for faculty and students
- Students should be specific when discussing the configuration and implementation.
- Identify the proper data protection and backup method and implementation, and justify your decision.
- Students should consider the needs of the administration, faculty, and students.
- Identify a network monitoring solution and describe how this will enable the optimization of the network, and justify your decision.
- Students should be specific when describing protocol analyzers, network monitoring tools, and packet sniffers
- Identify how logs will be stored, managed, and how long the university will keep them, and justify your answer
- Students should consider this in the context of the network or cloud based storage selected.
- Describe the troubleshooting methodology Information Technology (IT) personnel will use when troubleshooting issues across the proposed network implementation