Click the link above to submit your assignment.
Students, please view the “Submit a Clickable Rubric Assignment” in the Student Center.
Instructors, training on how to grade is within the Instructor Center.
Assignment 4: Public Leadership Presentation
Due Week 10 and worth 150 points
Condense information from Assignments 1, 2, 3, and additional criteria in order to develop a creative and appealing PowerPoint presentation.
Incorporate the professorâ€™s feedback from Assignments 1, 2, and 3 in order to proficiently develop Assignment 4. Use scholarly journal articles and / or Strayer databases to complete additional research on your selected topic.
Use the basic outline below as headers for your presentation. Organize your responses to each question (except Questions 1, 2, and 8) under the following slide headings:
- Role of the Chief of Staff (for Question 3)
- Public Leadership Theory (for Question 4)
- Public Leadership Styles (for Question 5)
- Public Leadership Trends (for Question 6)
- Our Government Leadership (for Question 7)
Create a ten to twelve (10-12) slide presentation in which you:
- Create a title slide and references section (as indicated in the format requirements below).
- Narrate each slide, using a microphone, indicating what you would say if you were actually presenting in front of an audience. Note: If you do not have access to a microphone, then you should provide detailed speaker notes with your presentation.
- Briefly summarize your role as Chief of Staff and the task the City Manager had charged you with regarding the Public Leadership Academy.
- From the specific leadership theories that you had reviewed in the previous assignments, determine one (1) theory that best fits the mission of the Public Leadership Academy. Provide a rationale to support your answer.
- From the styles that you had discussed in the previous assignments, determine two (2) styles that best fit the mission of the Public Leadership Academy. Provide a rationale to support your answer.
- Predict three (3) public leadership trends that you believe will be particularly significant within the next decade.
- Based on your responses in Questions 4-6, prepare an argument that convinces the City Manager to adopt the leadership theory and style(s) that best fit the mission of the Public Leadership Academy. Provide support for your argument.
- Include at least five (5) academic references (no more than five  years old) from material outside the textbook. Note: Appropriate academic resources include academic and governmental Websites, scholarly texts, and peer-reviewed articles. Wikipedia, other wikis, and any other websites ending in anything other than â€œ.govâ€ do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Include a title slide containing the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The title slide is not included in the required slide length.
- Include a reference slide containing the sources that were consulted while completing research on the selected topic, listed in APA format. The reference slide is not included in the required slide length.
- Format the PowerPoint presentation with headings on each slide, two to three (2-3) colors, two to three (2-3) fonts, and two to three (2-3) relevant graphics (photographs, graphs, clip art, etc.), ensuring that the presentation is visually appealing and readable from eighteen (18) feet away. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Slides should abbreviate the information in no more than five or six (5 or 6) bullet points each.
- Slide titles should be based on the criteria being summarized (e.g., â€œFour Key Attributes,â€ â€œResponses to Budget Issues,â€ etc.).
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Evaluate the theories and models of public leadership.
- Differentiate among the styles of public leadership.
- Determine the role of public leadership in influencing the operations of public organizations and decisions of public administrators.
- Analyze how public leadership influences the various levels of public administration and public service.
- Examine the personal aspects of public leadership and professional ethics.
- Differentiate between leadership roles in a public administrative environment versus a private administrative role.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in public leadership and conflict resolution.
- Write clearly and concisely about issues in public leadership and conflict resolution using proper writing mechanics.
Assignment 5: Preparing for the Agencyâ€™s Future, Part 5
Scenario for Assignments 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.
- Analyze at least three (3) challenges of succession planning for your selected agency.
- Propose at least three (3) components of effective implementation of succession planning.
- Discuss at least three (3) skills for managing personnel through turbulence, providing a rationale for each skill.
- Recommend at least three (3) innovations for succession planning, providing a rationale for each recommendation.
- Provide at least four (4) relevant and credible outside sources that support the content of this assignment. (Include no more than one (1) non-government Website)
- Develop eight to 10 (8-10) PowerPoint slides, with one or two (1 or 2) devoted to each of the topics in items 1-4 above. Slides should abbreviate the information in no more than five or six (5 or 6) bullet points each.
- Incorporate 200-250 words of content in the Notes View of each PowerPoint slide. (These would be used while presenting the slides to an audience.
- Slide titles should be based on the criteria described above (e.g., â€œChallenges of Succession Planning,â€ etc.)
- In addition to the content slides required, a title slide and a reference slide are to be included. The title slide is to contain the title of the assignment, your name, the instructorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The reference slide should list, in APA format, the sources you consulted in writing the paper.
- Examine the major components of the personnel management system, procedures, and processes in the public sector.
- Evaluate current and emerging issues and trends in public personnel management, such as evaluation, public sector recruitment, staffing employment development compensation, benefits, pensions, strategic planning, and / or succession planning.
- Develop a proposal for strategic public personnel management for a specific setting.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in public personnel management.
- Write clearly and concisely about public personnel management using proper writing mechanics.