The purpose of this assignment is to learn more about how connected you are to the ecosystems and biosphere that you inhabit. You will learn how your everyday choices contribute to the human impacts on our environment you have been learning about. Most importantly, you will learn about benefits that you can receive by joining the increasing number of people who are making choices that reduce their environmental impact.
First, calculate your ecological footprint.
- Use the Footprint calculator (http://www.footprintnetwork.org/en/index.php/GFN/page/calculators/ )to measure your ecological footprint and learn â€œhow many earthsâ€ it takes to support your lifestyle. Be sure to choose the â€œdetailed responseâ€ option for each question.
- Answer each question in the quiz honestly and record your answers and results in the Environmental Footprint Reporting Form (available for download in your online course).
Second, calculate your household carbon emissions.
- Use the Household carbon footprint calculator (http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/ghgemissions/ind-calculator.html to measure your carbon emissions and determine your environmental impact and the benefits of solutions.
- Section 1: Estimate your current total household emissions (from home energy use, vehicle use, waste).
- Section 2: Explore actions you can take to reduce your greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, and waste disposal costs.
- Section 3: See how much you can save (in dollars and emissions) by taking the actions you chose in Section 2.
- Answer each question in the quiz honestly and record your answers and results in the Environmental Footprint Reporting Form.
Complete Tables A and B as well as assignment questions 1 through 4 on the Environmental Footprint Reporting Form. Save your answers as a Word document. The document must be formatted according to APA style. For information regarding APA samples and tutorials, visit the Ashford Writing Center, located within the Learning Resources tab on the left navigation toolbar, in your online course. Submit the document via the Assignment Basket in your online course.